Gallstones - Causes
Many causes are associated with the formation of gallstones. Some of the most common reasons are given below.
- Excess cholesterol in the bile (Cholesterol Stones)
- Excess bilirubin in the bile (Pigment Stones)
- Concentrated bile – If the gallbladder fails to empty its content, then the bile becomes concentrated and as a result, stones are formed.
Risk factors for gallstones include:
- Being overweight
- Rapid weight loss in a short span of time
- Eating fewer meals per day
- High intake of foods rich in cholesterol
- Family with history of gallstones
- Being pregnant
Did you know? Gallstones are more common in females.