Diarrhea - Treatment
Most cases of diarrhea can be cured on its own within a couple of days without any treatment. If the diarrhea lasts for more than 2 days, then it is necessary to take treatment or to consult the doctor immediately.
1. For replacing lost fluids:
- During diarrhea you will lose plenty of fluids from the body by frequent loose and watery stools. It is necessary to restore the lost fluids especially by water and sports drinks.
- Be sure to have frequent small sips of fluids instead of drinking lots of liquid at a time. Some other good choices for treating diarrhea include clear broth and water.
- Caffeinated, alcoholic, sugary drinks, milk and other dairy products can make the symptoms more badly.
2. Try Eating a Bland Diet:
- Try to have clear fluids for first 24 hours. Then, you can add some bland diet called as BRAT diet such as bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. This will increase the firmness of the stool. Saltine crackers, boiled potatoes, skinless baked chicken and cooked carrots are also safe.
3. Taking zinc supplement will help in treating diarrhea. It supplies both protein and transport water and electrolytes to the intestines.
4. Treating Diarrhea with Medicine:
- You can take an over-the-counter medicine such as bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate) and loperamide (Imodium) which are available as liquids or tablets.
- Anti-motility medications which results in slowdown in the movement of the intestine and colon. This slowdown relaxes the bowel organs, which gives the organs more time to absorb water, resulting in less watery stool.
- Antibiotics may also help in treating diarrhea if it is caused by bacteria or parasites. It won’t be of use if virus causes the diarrhea.
5. If you are having itching, burning, soreness, or pain in your rectal area due to lot of bowel movement. Taking a warm bath and use of a hemorrhoid cream or white petroleum jelly will make you to feel better.